Aftown currently the top indigenous music streaming and download site in West Africa

Share Post...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Aftown is an Internet-based music download and streaming service. It was developed by Technation Ghana Company LTD, aftown as a company consists of two main platforms: streaming and downloads. The aftown app is free and generates revenue through premium subscriptions and advertisement from free users. It is currently the top indigenous music streaming and download site in West Africa. aftown is strictly for african music, and probably one of the few online music market platforms that focus on true african musicians and music lovers.

The Application, which currently has more than 50,000 subscribers, allows users to access music from Ghana and the Diaspora at a cost of GH¢0.20 per day, GH¢0.70 per week and GH¢2.50 per month. Artistes signed onto the Application are entitled to 70 per cent of all payments made while aftown is entitled to the remaining 30 per cent. Techpreneur Magazine reached out to one of the founding partners of aftown to find out more about this indigenous platform seeking to revolutionize Africa’s music industry.

Generally how did aftown start?
In September 2016, the technation team had a collaboration with M.anifest to release his album “No Where Cool ” album on 15ghana.com an eCommerce website. The album upon release sold over a thousand copies all over the country within a week.

The sale of M.anifest’s album presented several challenges especially in regard to delivery since the project involved the sale CDs. These challenges and the overall success of the project led the Technation Ghana team to come up with the idea for aftown coined from the words Africa and Town. In October, 2017 aftown was officially launched.

What are your ideals as a music streaming platform?
To generate more revenue for artists

How long has it been?
3 years

What does aftown do?
aftown supports African music by giving African artists a reliable platform to earn revenue from their music and also music lovers a user friendly platform to download/stream their favourite African tunes.


What does an artist need to do to get his/her music featured on aftown?
An ID for verification and your music. Artistes can register on artists.aftown.com.


What has been the acceptance rate so far?
The reception has been amazing so far. We have over 5000 artists within these few years.


Who are your target audience?
People who love African music all over the world.

How many artists are currently on your platform?
Over 5000 artists.


How does aftown differ from Sound Cloud or Spotify?
We put the works of African artists first. Unlike other platforms we don’t dump African content into one or two genres.


What are some of the challenges you’ve faced so far since you started?
Trust from artists is the main challenge we face. Most artists do not support and trust their own. They prefer foreign platforms over their own platforms which generates more revenue for them compared to the foreign
platforms.


We hear there is a version 2 coming out soon, tell us about it.
Version 2 is a modern update of what we currently have with a whole lot of new features.


Would you ever integrate Crypto Currency on your platform and why?
The risks associated with it are numerous and is not popular amongst our users . However we do not know what the future holds.

What does the future look like for aftown?
To be honest, the future looks promising. I’m excited for what awaits us. 

 

RECEIVE UPDATES
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn how to optimize your blog for search engines, find free traffic, and monetize your website.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.
Share Post...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestEmail this to someone
46 views

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail